Starting a New Site
Girls on the Run Capital Region currently hosts the program in three counties: Albany, Rensselaer and Schenectady. A site can be a school, community center, parks & rec facility, fitness center, community park, or many other possibilities. If you are interested in starting a site outside our jurisdiction, please contact our national office, www.girlsontherun.org for more information.
Step 1: Read New Site Information Guide
Download and review our New Site Information Guide.
Step 2: Prepare
- A Site Liaison: A contact person at the site to coordinator with GOTR. This person can be a site employee or a parent.
- Volunteer Coaches: Each team is required to have a minimum of two coaches at every practice; ideally 3-4 coaches per team. We will provide the training, coaching materials and background checks.
- A safe place for running: This does not have to be a track. A field is fine. The running area should be a minimum of 1/4 of a mile and be completely visible (e.g., not around a building).
- An inclement weather space: Indoor space safe, (gym, classroom, cafeteria) reserved twice a week for GOTR. This space should NOT conflict with other programs (e.g., there must not be an aftercare program, basketball practice, etc.).
- Practice days: Choose two days per week and the time the participants will meet for 90 minutes per session. Make sure the selected indoor and outdoor spaces are available on the days chosen.
- Obtain approval: Principal or Site Director approval is required before submitting application.
Step 3: Complete a Site Application
Site applications for the spring 2017 season must be submitted by January 25, 2017. Returning sites must also complete an application.
Upon receiving the site application, our Site Review Committee will review the application and be in touch to arrange a site visit and work out the final details. All applications are subject to prior approval. A submitted application does not guarantee the program will be offered.
Step 4: Start (or complete) the Coach Application Process
The Site Liaison, Head Coaches & Assistant Coaches need to complete the online application. The Program Director will review the application and arrange a meeting.
Contact us with any questions: